The best makeup removers dissolve makeup and help clarify your pores without stripping your skin of protective oils. If you wear makeup or sunscreen, it’s important to use makeup remover to clear out pore-clogging substances from your skin at the end of the day. If you don’t remove your makeup and sunscreen, you may experience breakouts, clogged pores, and dull-looking skin. This guide will help you find the best makeup removers for your skin type and needs.
What is Makeup Remover?
You may be wondering, what is makeup remover exactly? Makeup remover is a special solution designed to dissolve and remove makeup. You can apply a makeup remover before cleaning your face with your regular facial cleanser. Some facial cleansers offer makeup-removing properties, which allow you to remove your makeup and wash your face in one step. Note that the best makeup removers and cleansers are soap-free, which helps prevent excessive drying and stripping of the skin’s protective oils.
Types of Makeup Removers
Makeup removers are either oil-based or water-based. A popular water-based makeup remover base is micellar water, which is a gentle cleanser and toner that purifies the pores by removing excess oil, dirt, and debris. The best makeup remover for you depends on your skin type and goals. There are many different options to suit every need, but some essential features you should look for include: soap-free, non-comedogenic, and hypo-allergenic. Here are some of the best makeup removers for different skin types:
Makeup Remover for Dry Skin
If you have dry skin, you will want to use an oil-based makeup remover that won’t strip moisture from your skin. Algenist Genius Ultimate Anti-Aging Melting Cleanser is a top-rated makeup remover and oil-based cleanser for dry skin. The nourishing cleanser combines anti-aging benefits from alguronic acid with microalgae oil to visibly replenish and nourish the skin.
Makeup Remover for Sensitive Skin
For sensitive skin, the best makeup removers have gentle ingredients that won’t cause irritation. Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water is the top makeup remover for sensitive skin. The gentle cleanser uses micellar water to cleanse your pores and remove makeup, debris, and pollution without causing itching, drying, or irritation. This affordable formula is also budget-friendly.
Makeup Remover for Oily Skin
If you have oily skin, you’ll want to stay away from oil-based cleansers, which can add excess oil to your skin. Micellar water is a top ingredient for oil-free makeup removers that can cleanse and tone your skin while unclogging pores and removing excess dirt and oil. La Roche Posay Ultra Micellar Cleansing Water and Makeup Remover for Sensitive Skin is an excellent choice for oily skin as the formula contains no oil and will remove excess oil and debris from your skin.
For combination skin, you will need a makeup remover that doesn’t add excess oil to your oily patches of skin while also not drying out the drier sections of your face. One of the top-rated makeup removers for combination skin is iS Clinical Cleansing Complex, which is a combination of cleanser and makeup remover that removes makeup and excess oil without stripping your skin.
Waterproof Makeup Remover
Waterproof makeup can be its own brand of difficult, with waterproof mascara and eyeliner requiring extra power to remove. If you wear waterproof makeup, you will need a makeup remover designed specifically for waterproof makeup that won’t irritate your eyes. Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes, & Lips is a water-based makeup remover that can do heavy-duty dissolving to take off waterproof makeup without irritating or drying the eyelids and sensitive skin areas.
Whatever your skin type, you can find the best makeup removers at budget-friendly prices. Some brands that have affordable makeup removers include Bioderma, Dove, Neutrogena, Garnier, and Cetaphil. You can choose a makeup remover that is also a cleanser to get the most bang for your buck.
Tips for Using Makeup Remover
Once you find the best makeup remover for your skin type, these tips will help you get the most out of your product and preserve the quality of your skin:
- Go slow. Once you apply your makeup remover, let it sit on your skin for a few minutes to work its magic before rinsing. You can brush your teeth and do other parts of your nightly routine while your makeup remover goes to work.
- Don’t rely on wipes. Makeup-removing wipes may be a lifesaver when you’re on the go, but for your regular nightly routine, it’s best to wash your face with your remover, cleanser, and water in the sink. Using only wipes often leaves debris behind and can even push dirt into your pores so if you use wipes, follow with a regular cleaning using water.
- Clean gently. When you wash your face, use lukewarm water and your fingertips to apply the cleanser. Avoid scrubs, sponges, and washcloths, as they can irritate the skin, advises the American Academy of Dermatology Association. If you use anything, opt for cotton pads or reusable cleansing pads over cotton balls.
- Cleanse your hairline. It’s easy to overlook the hairline, especially if your hair is falling in your face. Put on a headband to pull your hair back and cleanse the skin around your hairline.
- Follow with moisturizer. Once you remove your makeup and cleanse your face, your skin will need a boost of moisture, especially around the eye area. Use an eye cream and moisturizer as well as some lip balm if you removed lipstick.
- Cleanse after using oil-based removers. If you use an oil-based makeup remover, follow with an oil-free facial cleanser to help complete the cleansing process and remove any excess oil.
As you can see, the best makeup removers work with your skin type and needs, and you can find budget-friendly options. Whether you need to remove waterproof eye makeup or cleanse your pores from sunscreen and foundation at the end of the day, makeup remover is an important step to cleanse debris and makeup from your pores. When you use the best makeup remover for your skin type, you’ll enjoy glowing, healthy skin so you can always put your best face forward. As an Amazon associate I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Leave a Comment