Eyelash extensions are everywhere and getting them can be as easy as booking a quick appointment online with one of the many pop-up eyelash salons seen around the neighborhood.
They look great, and the process is simple, but before taking that plunge everyone should take just a moment to consider these pros and cons. After all we want to maintain healthy eyes.
First, lets look at some of the positives of eye lash extensions! Instagram photos, aside, women with sparse lashes finally have a solution more permanent than fiber mascaras and drug store fakes.
Reasons for Eyelash Extensions
Here are a few reasons to celebrate this hot new trend:
- Saves time. Reduces the amount of time it takes to get ready because you already look “done” when you wake up!
- Long lasting. On average, you only need a fill every 3 weeks, so your gorgeous look stays put without much maintenance.
- No need to buy mascara. Forget pouring over mascara reviews and watching endless videos on the “best” mascaras, you won’t need it anymore.
- Custom to you. Unlike off the shelf lashes, eyelash extensions are hand placed by an experienced professional trained to make you look your absolute best.
- Enhances your natural assets. Eyelash extensions “frame” your eyes, making them “pop” in person and in pictures. Say good-bye to “raccoon eyes,” or those little black specs from flaking mascara.
Draw Backs to Lash Extensions
And although there are a lot of awesome reasons to invest in eyelash extensions, they do come with a few drawbacks to consider:
- Extensions are an investment . This is one service you do not want to go cheap on- average cost for a new set starts at $150 and goes up from there.
- And not just money. expect the appointment to last two hours or more with subsequent maintenance appointments every 3 weeks.
- You might have to change your routine. Nothing oil based, gentle cleansers and minimal contact with water are all required to maintain.
- Allergic Reactions. The glue contains some harsh chemicals, which have been known to cause serious reactions with severe consequences to your eye health.
- Infection. If you don’t clean your lashes as recommended, you run the risk of residue build up that can cause infections like pink eye or styes.
- Loss of natural lashes. Repeated manipulation and placements of extensions can wear down your natural lashes or cause them to break.
Considering eyelash extensions does take some thought and planning. Do research on the best technicians in your area and ask for recommendations from family and friends who have lash extensions. This is the first, most crucial step when thinking about committing to eyelash extensions. You want someone who knows what they are doing and takes cleanliness and sanitation very seriously. Eyelash extensions are fun, and very fashion forward, but make no mistake they can negatively impact your eye health if left to an amateur.
Hybrid lashes or hybrid lash extensions is another thing to consider since they don’t have an application to every eyelash and instead use some volume applications as well. this can help you keep your natural eyelashes.
Making sure that you have the time, discipline, and money to maintain healthy eyelashes is paramount to the success and wear of beautiful, long-lasting lashes. Take the time to get it right. This way you will no doubt fall in love with the convenience and gorgeous look of your eyelash extensions. Post your eyelash extension before and after pictures below! You can also check out our post on Eyelash Growth Serums.